Saturday, June 13, 2009

Word For the Day Philippians 4:10-13; 19 (KJV)

10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity.

11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.


Commentary: Wherein ye were also careful, or "regarding your care for me, you really were concerned": Paul acknowledges that they were concerned about his needs all along, but they lacked opportunity to minister to him. Not that I speak in respect [because] of want: Paul's ability to be content despite the circumstances assures the readers that his joy of verse 10 is not solely over his "need" being met at their expense. He implies that he could have done without their financial aid. For justifies this implication. I have learned... to be content: The Greek here suggests that contentment is a lesson learned neither in a classroom nor overnight, but through many practical experiences in life. By listing some specific examples, verse 12 elaborates upon the very general and broad "in whatsoever state I am" of verse 11. Be abased means literally to discipline oneself, that is, to tighten the belt in lean times. To abound means to live in prosperity. Every where and in all things I am instructed (or, "in all circumstances I have learned the secret of how") to be full, that is, "well-fed." To abound means to have plenty. To suffer need means to go without. Paul has acquired the skill required for successfully living with little and with much, the latter probably being harder: "For one man who can stand prosperity, there are a hundred that will stand adversity" (Thomas Carlyle). The apostle's ability of knowing how to live skillfully on little or in prosperity does not mean that he is a spiritual superman. The reason he can live in such extremes is not owing to his own ability. Rather he can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth him, thus enabling him to adapt to his various, ever-changing circumstances. God orders Paul's various situations, and God gives him the strength to be content in them all, trying and perplexing though they may be. Because the Lord is aware of the sacrifice (v.18) the Philippians made in meeting Paul's needs, God will surely supply all their need. God will meet their "need" (1) according to his riches, that is, in proportion to His unlimited resources; (2) in glory, that is, He will meet their need "gloriously" or "in a splendid manner"; and (3) By Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment